Friday, January 7, 2011

Think Before you Toss

I absolutely love when people share ideas with me. My sister in-law sent me an email, which is featured below, with a super cool, "green", and cheap way to make your own Potpourri!

**********
How to Create a Simmering Potpourri

Next time you eat an apple or orange (or both!) stop and think before you throw away the peel and core! These are the main ingredients needed for a savory simmering potpourri! I love for my house to smell good, but candles can get expensive. Now I can let the house smell yummy for a fraction of the cost while getting in my daily intake of fruits!


Save rinds, peels, or cores from any fragrant fruits. (I stick to apples and citrus fruits.)
In a large pot, add rinds, peels, cores, and a dash or two of spices or extracts that compliment the fruit. Cinnamon (ground and/or sticks), nutmeg, and cloves are a good starting point. Vanilla extract might work too! Fill the rest of the pot about 3/4 full of water.

Stir and bring water to a boil. The flavors will start to blend to create a very impressive fragrance. Then decrease to the lowest temperature setting.
Let your potpourri simmer for a few hours, remembering to stir every half hour or so. Add more water from time to time as much of it will evaporate.

*Under NO circumstance should the simmering potpourri be consumed. Discard the remains when finished and cooled to room temperature!


These are the ingredients I normally use when making the potpourri.


Not much on looks, but miiiighty fragrant! Yum!

Enjoy!

Tracy

***********
Thanks so much Tracy!! If you ever want to share an idea for my blog followers to read PLEASE feel free to send it in. I love sharing and getting inspiration from you all!

TTYL~Misty

No comments:

Post a Comment