Monday, November 14, 2011

Eat Your Veggies Pasta!

Hey Yall! If you are a follower of my blog you know that I LOVE my veggies. I want to share with you an easy pasta creation that I made the other night. No store bought spaghetti sauce in this dish! Mainly because I wanted it to be more of an olive oil base, I am not a snob when it comes to store bought spaghetti sauce, I use it all the time:)

Things you need:
1 Zucchini, sliced and halved
1 yellow squash, sliced and halved
half of an onion, diced
2 handfuls of spinach
1 can of diced tomatoes, drained (preferably the herb flavored ones like basil, etc)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Ground turkey
Whole wheat pasta noodles (I like thin)
Garlic (however you wish, minced garlic clove, garlic salt, garlic powder, just get some garlic!)
Salt

I never really measure out things when I cook, which most people don't unless you are baking. Everything is to taste, so add a lil here and a lil there, when it comes to your seasonings:)

1) Brown up your ground turkey, use how ever much you think you will need. Throw in your onion and some garlic salt to cook up with the turkey.

2) Bring some water to a boil for the noodles

3) In another skillet spray with olive oil, and turn on medium. Arrange the zucchini and squash so that it can brown up a little bit on each side. Once lightly browned on each side turn the eye down to medium low, and throw in the can of diced tomatoes. (if you don't want it to be so tedious you can throw everything in all at once and just cook all together, I'm just a little OCD and I like things a specific way) Season your sauce with the salt, garlic, and whatever else you like to taste.

4) Once the water for the pot of noodles is boiling, and your meat and sauce is good to go, start your noodles. This way you don't have cold noodles while you waiting on everthing else to cook.

5) Once the noodles are in, take your spinach and chop it up. Turn the sauce on low, and mix in the spinach. The spinach doesn't take long, this is why you wait till the end to throw it in, plus I like it to be fresh tasting and not overcooked.

Once you stir it in, the heat will wilt it a little and its good to go.

6) When the noodles are done drain them. Then stir the noodles and the ground turkey into the sauce to combine, and let the noodles soak up the flavor while they are warm.

7) Dish up! Pour a little bit of extra virgin olive oil on top and sprinkle with parmesan:)

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
ttyl~Misty

No comments:

Post a Comment